Sunday, July 6, 2008

Feeding a Cold With Locro

CAFAYATE, Argentina -- An 11-week trip to South America is bound to have a few unexpected roadblocks, such as miners with dynamite on strike, transportation delays, etc.
So, why should the small town of Cafayate be any different?
Meghan and I both picked up bad colds in Salta and have been recovering here for four days, a couple days more than originally planned. Actually, Cafayate is a darn fine place to recover. It´s renowned for its vineyards and temperate climate, and Meghan and I have soaked it all in. Although I loved the wine tour and six-hour odyssey through the red-rock canyons outside of town, the best part has been the food. We ordered Parrillada last night. The dish for two was a carnivore´s dream! Three types of sausages, ribs, chicken breast, filets, different cuts of steak, all on a small grill delivered to our table. We had very little for lunch just to prepare. Armed with glasses of dark red wine from a local vineyard, we even impressed the waiter with our hearty appetites. Many poeple told me told me some of the best steaks in the world can be found in Argentina, and after Saturday night who am I to disagree? We have also been nursing ourselves back to health with bowls of locro, a delectable stew common in this part of the Andes. The ingredients include cornmeal, some form of meat, usually beef, and an array of fresh vegetables. And I would do well not to forget the empanadas. Meghan and I fell in love with small joint called Casa des Las Empanandas in town. Anyone can make an empananda, but the folks here have mastered the technique. Using a secret recipe of spices, the piping hot treats melt happily into your mouth. Meghan used to buy empananadas in South Florida, but you can find the real thing at this little restaurant on Ave. Mitre in Cafayate. Yum.

When we finally make our way to Buenos Aires, my goal, after weeks and weeks of being on the road, is to eat my way through several glorious days and nights in that metropolis. With Andrew guiding us to the best restaurants in town, I can think of no better way of ending this fabulous adventure. But before all that, we have one more very special place to visit....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Will:
Al's been calling about getting together for lunch. How about noon on Friday?

Anonymous said...

I got my postcard from Sucre the other day! What a beautiful church!
Your post has left me in suspense!!! What next?

Love you guys.